Wednesday 5 January 2011

new year resolution?

The snow is away and the rain is back, but we start to look forward as the days should start to get longer now...outside lots of birds are feeding in our garden, rotten apples and fat balls, plus the food the chickens leave around.tonight I am determined to make a fire outside and cook last neck from Donna's sheep.Some roast potato will go well together. I am thinking to roast the meat in the fire and hope that the rain stops.
At lunch time I had pheasant broth with some of my hard grissini bread. The all dish looked not interesting but I enjoyed as it was really tasty. Last night we all had potato cakes and scallops. The day before,at lunch time it was a interesting ravioli dishes.Christopher had ravioli with pesto and Lesley with Stilton cheese.M y one was ravioli with chestnut sauce made from my brother wife chestnuts, brought back from Sardinia in October. The ravioli were made last July with dandelion, nettles and sweet Cecily herbs. To make the sauce I boiled the chestnuts, then mash them into a pulp and mixed with double cream rescued from school.In the evening I roasted a pheasant although I was planning to cook a rabbit in a stew. I could not recognise the meat in the bag.

For the new year we went to visit Lesley's mum,her sister Elisabeth and husband Peter. Breakfasts, lunches and dinners were provided for us and I ate happily some food that was not prepared by myself. It was a nice break from our normal routine and luckily the weather was not to bad.
When we came back on Sunday night, the frozen fish cakes were just good for a quick dinner.
Finally the freezer seem to be going down a bit. It is difficult to take things out when is too full and sometime you need to empty the freezer half way down to get what you need.

In the garden we still have few leeks and few Brussels sprout. More winter cabbage is frozen in the school garden and considering the amount of beans and peas, plus the dozen of bags of beetroot in the house freezer, I must say that I have more food that I need. In fact during the holidays the all family is eating the food which was suppose to be mine only. This demonstrate that with a bit more organisation in cultivating the vegetables, and collecting the wild stuff we all could be doing this experiment for the winter and more. Did not take any pictures recently so I hope to post some later this week. the nine of January is the world hunger day, just to remind ourselves that people still die every day from hunger. It is estimated that about 20.000 people die every day  from hunger.Concerts are planned in London to raise money, which is a good thing but I still believe that different action should be taken by individuals as I have explained before in this blog.
Food waste is one of the causes of the hunger in the world. It is easier for us to give money as most of us have enough money to do so,but if we carry on wasting food we are not solving the problem.
Buy less, waste less and save money and most important save lives in other parts of the world. Remember that our surplus of food is  the food taken away from others. Information is now days available on the Internet so there is no excuse not to know what we should know...about it.
www.worldhungerday.org.uk
Happy new year to all.
my resolution will be to carry on my experiment as much as I can ad try my best to talk about this huge problem with anyone I Will meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment