Sunday 5 December 2010

apple wine and a cod fish

The cold temperature has affected my apples and I decided to do something urgently with them before they turned black. All the apple were frozen in the shed and this morning with the help of Lesley we cut them to make some apple wine. About 8 kilos of apples, but I have probably another 15 kilos to sort. Another 6/8 kilos were kept in the house so I can use them for my snacks. The pears were also frozen, and I will be doing some juice with it.
later this morning Calin turned at the door with a big fish (cod). Tomorrow I will process it into fillets and use the rest of the flesh for some fish cakes. I gave to him some ravioli with mushrooms for the exchange.
In the last few days I made focaccia bread sticks, linguine pasta and sort two pheasants and two red leg partridges. (We had one last night and it was really tasty. I did cook it in the oven ,then cut it in pieces and finish it in the pan with a sweet cherry paste and oil. The contrast with the salt and the sweetness of the cherry paste( melted) was really tasty.)
This weekend we were out celebrating Susan Fraser retirement .(Friday night at Brokie lodge near Beauly ).
Some people were asking me what I was going to eat.....Well this was a special occasion, and although I was no easy, I felt I should go for politeness. I did choose from the menu carefully, making sure that the products were at least local or Scottish. It was haggis for starter and venison for main course. Did not choose a cake but a cheese board ( the only cheese that was not Scottish was the french brie). Cheese was too much so I saved for the next day. It was the same for breakfast: bacon,black pudding, egg, sausage. ~All the products are provided by local business  as I discovered talking with the owner of the lodge. The list of the business that provide the food to the lodge ( including some vegetable) are written in the breakfast menu.
I decided not to have lunch on Sunday and made a pizza for everyone in the evening.

This morning I peeled all the pears as they were getting black and boiled them with some water and sugar. With some of them I made 2 cakes and the rest will be processed into juice. It would be a shame to waste them.  From the cod I made 4 fillets and then I boiled the head ,the tail and the rest of the flesh from the spine. later on I made a dozen of fish cakes from it. it is amazing how much meat from those cuts you can get.
For lunch I had linguine with scallops ( thanks Katie) and for dinner mixed wild herb in olive oil, cheese, the rest of my pizza and a piece of cake.
Some pictures below.
The cod fish

Fish cakes from the cod trimmings etc


Cooking the pears


Focaccia sticks





No comments:

Post a Comment