Wednesday 8 December 2010

The prosciutto

Yesterday I decided to open the parma ham still hanging from November 2009. It was suggested by Lesley as to avoid potential bad surprises. I was planning to open it just before Christmas in order to get some nice sliced of cured ham for the Christmas starter. I did not know if the cured leg of the pig ( front one.normally you this cured ham with the back ones, but I like to try unconventional things ) was going to be a success, so in order to avoid surprises I open it yesterday. Surprises? Yes, it was good surprise. The cured ham was a success. First slices were tiny bit salted, but as you progress with the cutting is OK.
So, we have cured ham for Christmas. It was not a easy task as the temperature in here are too low for this type of thing, and not having space in the house, the leg was left in the shed all the last winter, spring and summer, from minus 12 degrees to probably plus 20 or so. I am please with it and the experiment has to happen again, hopefully.  It was along wait, but ....
After the success of the Salamis made last winter, now is time to try some sausages as well. Rabbit burger were good ( I have few in the freezer) and if anyone is prepare to give me some venison meat, I will try sausages, burgers and cured meat with it. Obviously you will get some of the processed meat in exchange.
Today lunch was pasta homemade linguine with last year bacon. Yesterday it was scallops and linguine. In the evening I am having again nettles,dandelions and wild garlic herbs in oil with cheese, grissini bread and focaccia bread.
I have not done any juice from the pears as I was planning. Instead I have made four jars of jam and the rest of the pulp is going to be used for a cake.
Salamis (two on the left )and sopressata from the pig head meat ( on the right )


The prosciuto ready to be sliced


Looking good....



No comments:

Post a Comment