Wednesday 15 December 2010

pizzas and pasta

Half way through December already....time is flying away at incredible speed. Next weekend is Christmas.
I have been busy after school as I was involved in the pasta making demonstration yesterday afternoon. i think it was successful with 5 participants taking part in it. We did lasagna sheets, some ravioli with smoked mackerel, potato and parsley, linguine and gnocchi. I was explaining to the ladies and the only man present to the demonstration, that they could make different shapes of pasta according to their imaginative initiative. I made the example of the ravioli I made a while ago with beetroot. I will show the picture below. The ravioli where filled with boiled beetroot and herbs and cheese. The colour is actually pink as I cooked the lasagna sheets in the coloured water were the beetroots were cooked.
Making pasta is easy and cheap. Plus, you will appreciate more what you eat because you have made it, and you will finish off every thing because you have worked to do it. And finally, when you became confident and you create your own pasta special, you can invite friends and impress them with your pasta skills.
my hope is that more people dedicate more time to the food they eat. We spend far too little sitting at the table and even less time preparing our food. If we look at the time we dedicate eating we will be surprise to discovered that between breakfast, lunch and dinner time we spend only about 30 or 40 minutes. Lots of people spend less that that. Lots people eat on the go, or eat sandwiches at lunch and ready made meals in the evening and no breakfast. Food is the most important thing in people lives and health, so I do not understand why we do not reflect on this important aspect of our lives. We live in a society where time seem to be escaping from us, and we seem to be always running to catch it. This only creates stress ands stress creates more frustration and unhappiness.
Convenience is a false excuse. it cost us money and health problems as most of the food manufactured contains chemicals, colorants, unsafe preservatives, parts of body bones from various animals,and a variety of mixed ingredients that have an  unclear provenience. But the list is longer than that.
No mention the packaging that is a major problem for the recycle system.

Christopher went to a boys brigade party and took four pizzas I made for him to take to the party. After that had a drink and then I decided to finish using the pears I cooked few days before. I was worried that they would start to ferment so I made another 2 pears cakes. I am still eating some of the pheasant we cooked last weekend and yesterday I had some soup from the school kitchen ( left over ). I will have soup today as well and I have kept one full tab in the freezer.
here are the pink ravioli from the beetroot.

preparing the beetroot ravioli sheets

filling the ingredients


The pink beetroot ravioli ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment