Friday 19 November 2010

Cabbage

Last night did not have much time to do any food preparation as we came back from the swimming pool late. Fire to be prepared first, as priority then some food for the youngest one, some dish cleaning and so I decided to boil some cabbage ( from the school garden ). I also boil the outside leaves although not as tender as the middle ones. Normally I would keep them for the pigs, but wanted to try them in a dish.
After boiled and drained, the cabbage was chopped  and added to the fry pan, where I have melted some fat from the sheep neck.( I am trying to use fat rescued from previous cooking dishes and some fat that I have preserved in salt from last year pig belly. It works alright. No need for oil in some dished). To the frying cabbage I added some bits of the meat from the neck ( carving it out with a sharp knife), pinch of salt and voila', ready for the plate. It did not look any good, but it was OK. In fact this morning I have taken some for my lunch to school with some bread, plum chutney an apple and a pear.
I have a feeling of satisfaction every time I manage to go trough the day with such poor dishes. I say, well, it was edible, not too bad, and it was sufficient. I firmly believe that our palate( the part of the brain connected to it) gets trained to the taste of food. And you get use to it if the food you eat is eaten often.
I say this because I think about the bland food ( some ) sold in supermarkets. Chicken breast full of water for example. When you eat that for 20 years, then you try a real chicken you my find that the taste is too strong and you do not like it. Think about what other people eat in other countries, and some of their food taste and smell horrible for us but is tasty for them. So, the palate can be trained to food. I stick with my cabbage till is finish. As I said before I love cabbage anyway. In summer months in Sardinia our kitchen garden is always reach of cabbage. Lots of them. We eat cabbage ( white one ) as a salad, mixed with tomatoes, salt, olive oil (ours) and wine vinegar ( ours ). In my family over there we produce lots of varieties of vegetables,but we also produce our wine, olive oil and we have plenty of almonds trees. Some time the production of one crop is far more than we need, and therefore we give it to friend, relatives and neighbour.  Every one do this, so we have an exchange of products in a natural rotating system.
Here is today's fact:



  • If we planted trees on land currently used to grow unnecessary surplus and wasted food, this would offset a theoretical maximum of 100% of man-made greenhouse gas emissions.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment