Tuesday 16 November 2010

Tuesday 16 november

Another two eggs today. If our chickens keep producing I will start to keep the eggs for the next months as I need them not only for eating, but also to make pasta . Pasta is better if made with eggs, as it cooks better and is easy to work the dough. I discovered that eggs can be kept fresh for months...using different ways. Searching on the internet I have discovered that in different parts of the world people used different systems, but was very surprise to find out that you could keep eggs fresh for months.
Because of a hen's egg laying cycle, traditionally farmers would have a glut of eggs in spring and not many in winter. This led to a number of processes to store eggs so that they could be used at a later date. Waterglass, or sodium silicate, was most commonly used. The powder was mixed with water to make a solution and then used to cover eggs stored in a stoneware crock. In other places people use to brush the eggs with the white or oil or fat then cover them with brawn (?) or ashes. I thought that this process was to long for me and tried a simplest way. The most important thing was to eliminate the air to penetrate the eggs via the pores, so I decised to try with only simple water. Tap water of course. I placed three eggs in a plastic container, fill it with water and close it.I put the date on the eggs and after a months a opened one to see the results. It was fresh as new. Tried the second lot for two months and the eggs were still very good. I have changed the water a couple of times. I think it is a good practice to do this especially in summer.
This was a good discovery.
Here some pictures of my tonight's dinner. I have open a jar of pig head meat made last november.It is like the old fashioned SPAM. Not bad at all. Today i have used some of my creamy cheese to make a spreadable mixesture like philadelphia using fresh parsley and chooped ( last )spring onion. For lunch I had pasta.


Spredable soft cheese











my dinner tonight.
bread, cheese, potatoes,my "Spam" meat, one boiled egg.










Egg pasta strips for gnocchi












Cutting the gnocchi












Final touch

1 comment:

  1. HI Mr B.
    Ar you happy for me to promote your blog via our RNLI website and Social Networking sites?
    Cheers.
    Martin.

    ReplyDelete