Friday 5 November 2010

Day 3 and 4

Another two days gone. Wednesday morning i had my usual breakfast with bread and jam, bread and cheese for lunch with a piece of my pizza, left over. I have received fresh liver and the heart of two sheep and all was sliced in steaks shape( No the heart ). My dinner was two sliced of liver cooked with sliced leek from the garden and half teaspoon of very concentrated wild cherry paste which had given to the  liver a sweet taste.The liver was very good and very different from ,say ,liver from a pig, which is much softer.The dish was served with beans and peas from our garden, from the freezer. Liver is very rich in iron and every kid should be eating it at least twice a month. It can be cooked in different ways to please the taste of it.
Thursday morning I have changed jam for my breakfast. Strawberry jam received from my neighbour in exchange of one of mine. Lunch was a vegetable type of sausage roll and cheese. Breaks with a apple a day and yesterday a slice of my carrot cake. For dinner I had more liver ( too good ) and boiled cabbage from the garden. I also made a special bread with  my cheese.
Here some pictures.
Fresh liver and hearts
Liver sliced and with the condiments

Dish ready













Today lots of programs on tv are talking about the way we eat, what we eat and what we should  and should not be eating. Recently chefs are promoting the good habit of eating liver, heart and other offals. This is related to the crises we experiencing around our time, and I am sure some kind of push has come from the autorites. This make me think that we were, untill now, eating only the so called best cuts of the animals because very cheap to buy and so available, leaving  the rest of the " bad cuts" and offals to be mosltly wasted. This is not the only reason of course, because culture has a better part in this bad habit. In other countries the offals are eated first as they are more delicate , but also for many others are the best part of the animal. If meat was not so cheap we probably would change our habits and eat more of everything.

I will post some facts about food waste. ( When i will remember )

An estimated 20 million tonnes of food wasted in Britain from the plough to the plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment